While I agree with her about wanting my children to love the Lord and examine every situation in light of God's word, I don't want my children hearing what that Word is from just anyone.
For instance, lately we have been having a ton of missionaries visit our house from different faiths. I always welcome there discussions and let my kids come hear them talk, because I feel it's good to hear others talk about God somewhere other than our family's discussions and church, so long as I am there to hear what, exactly, is beings said. I want to know what my children are being taught so I can have a discussion with them later about differing points of doctrine and have the opportunity to correct any deviations from our faith they may hear.
If the public schools did teach gospel truths, whose "truths" would they be teaching? My family lives in a very Mormon area, and most likely it would be the same as they learn at home and at church, but I wouldn't know for sure unless I was there listening, which wouldn't be really an option in public schools. Thus, I am against having it in them.
However, I do feel spending 30 hours a week in a godless environment is counterproductive to my goal of centering my children in the gospel, and maybe not the best place for them to be.
1 comment:
Brit,
It isn't a Godless environment if you've shown your kids how to keep God with you at all times and think about what actions are appropriate religiously and what aren't.
Post a Comment