Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Sidetracked Stay-at-Home Mom Confessional

Somehow, in my upbringing, I missed learning the basic maintenance skills like how to keep a house clean (or a room, or even my own self for that matter). I grew up waiting till the last minute to do anything and then got really good at grabbing everything and dumping it somewhere no one will see, usually my room. One thing I have always been good at is keeping my closet clean. The trick is to drop it in the middle of the floor instead of stashing it in the closet. So here I am admitting the gross inadequacies and horror stories of my life in hopes of being cleared of them and starting over.

-I stopped using Tupperware after throwing it all away because I was always afraid of it, sitting in the back of my fridge for who knows how long. Now I use plastic bags.
-Every morning I "crisis clean" my house because it's a complete disaster by that night. I of course don't deal with it during my alone time in the evening so I have to deal with it in the morning.
-I am guilty of searching the dirty clothes for a "clean enough" pair of socks, of smelling the laundry in my washing machine to see if it smells too bad to put in the dryer, and of putting on perfume because I am not sure when the last time I showered was but I didn't have time to do it right then.
-Not only have I stashed dirty dishes in the oven, I have also put a whole bucket filled with dirty dished into an EMPTY dishwasher.
-I write wonderful Christmas cards to all my family every year but have never gotten around to sending them. Although I have thought about just sending them despite it being the end of January.
-I have to have Internet access because I don't keep up on balancing my checkbook.
-When I get really fed up with a messy house I rearrange and Jared comes home with half the furniture moved and a pile of junk in the middle of the room with me nowhere in sight.
-I spend hours making grocery lists and don't remember to bring them with me shopping. This also applies to every other kind of list I have too.

6 comments:

Angela said...

It is sad but I believe the majority of us do most of the things on your list. I rearrange my house when I am frustrated with me or my life and just want to rearrange it.

Amy said...

Guilty of dirty dishes in the oven!! I actually learned that tip from my mom. :)

Lady Carolyn said...

You definitely aren't alone. I have to rearrange when my house gets bad enough, just so I can find places for things.

I think you are too hard on your self. Crisis cleaning everyday is called picking up and its more than i do most days... and definitely more than i do on weekends

Lady Carolyn said...

Hey, I added my own on my blog, to you will understand you aren't the only one. ;)

Brittney said...

Angela, I cut my hair (myself) when I am frustrated with me and my life and I rearrange when I am frustrated with my house or kids. It doesn't seem to help though, usually makes it worse at first. Then you go fix it and in the end you end up feeling a little better.

Debra Goodey said...

Yes, I did the "hide the dirty dishes in the oven" thing. I was cured over 5 years ago. My visiting teachers were coming so I gathered all the dirty dishes including a big plastic bowl and put them into the oven. We had a great time visiting and then they left and I went about my day. Around 5 or 6 I went to preheat the oven for dinner. All was well, until I smelled the most horrible burning plastic smell. Now, I just leave the dirty dishes in the sink and let people know that I'm a pig. Cleaning out melted plastic out of my oven cured me forever. However, I do still smell the laundry before I decide if it must be rewashed or if it okay for the dryer.